Youth Leadership Pensacola provides students with the opportunity to work with a number of adult leaders in their community through four day-long seminars held over a period of ten months. An in-depth curriculum acquaints participants with community needs, opportunities, challenges and resources.
The program begins with a session focusing on developing leadership skills at a retreat. Subsequent meetings feature several topic areas including the media, human services, government, diversity, the justice system, citizenship and other community issues. These sessions are held at various locations in the Pensacola Bay Area.
- Encouraging students to recognize their own potential and develop their leadership skills.
- Acquainting students with community needs, resources and other factors that influence the direction of the Pensacola Bay Area.
- Providing opportunities for a diverse group of students to interact with each other and with community leaders and decision-makers.
- Fostering students’ interest in volunteer community service.
- Providing an atmosphere of Service Learning
An integral part of student learning is the selection, organization and implementation of a community service project. This component of the Youth Leadership Pensacola curriculum connects classroom learning to the real world as students actively engage in service to the community. Young leaders are challenged to use their leadership skills as they work together to achieve tangible results.
Students are selected in late spring of their sophomore and junior years for participation the following school year, and represent most public and private high schools in Escambia County. The program expanded into Santa Rosa county during the 2010/2011 class year.
Students interested in Youth Leadership Pensacola should apply through their high school guidance office.
Leadership Pensacola Alumni dues fund Youth Leadership Pensacola and the students are not charged a tuition fee. Youth Leadership Pensacola relies on the generosity of Pensacola Bay Area business and the philanthropic community in order to offer this training in community involvement to our youth.